Who Are Copyeditors?
Who Are Copyeditors?
In the previous article we spoke about Top 10 Grammar Mistakes students usually do while writing their papers. We all know that there are persons who may help you avoid learning boring grammar and editing rules and edit your essay for you. Who are they? Of course, these people are called copyeditors. Let us go deeply into this profession and learn more about it.
Let’s go step by step and consider the following questions:
1)What is copyediting?
2)What do copyeditors do?
3)What do copyeditors not do?
According to Wikipedia, “Copy editing (also copy-editing or copyediting, sometimes abbreviated ce) is the work that an editor does to improve the formatting, style, and accuracy of text. Unlike general editing, copy editing might not involve changing the content of the text. Copy refers to written or typewritten text for typesetting, printing, publication, broadcast or other independent distribution. In the context of publication in print, copy editing is done before typesetting and again before proofreading, the latter of which is the last step in the editorial cycle.”
Actually, copyediting is a process of editing a text and making it ready for publication or submission. The main objective is to ensure that written text is easy to follow, free of punctuation, grammar and spelling errors, well-structured and accurately written.
Copyeditors may help you to write your thoughts down in an accurate and understandable manner. A copy editor begins with checking essay structure and word flow. A professional copyeditor makes sure that your essay is complete and all paragraphs correspond to the outline. He also verifies what referencing style is required? Are there enough in-text citations? Whether all sources are reviewed or not?
Working with your manuscript, the copy-editor examines mistakes in grammar, punctuation, spelling, style, usage of words, etc. He may also eliminate the number of long and confusing sentences, the passive voice and exclamation marks. They not only check every sentence in your paper, they pay attention to every word.
Being a copyeditor is not an easy task. The tasks of a copyeditor include:
- Length of the whole paper. A copyeditor should decide if the paper is too short or too long? An expert can suggest an author to reduce the number of words, or add information since every book/journal/professor expects a specific number of pages.
- Plagiarism and other issues. A professional copyeditor will ensure that your text is free of plagiarism and has no sighs of racial discrimination or immodesty.
- Accuracy of the written text. Editor’s task is to make certain that every sentence of the written text makes sense, every paragraph corresponds to the outline, every citation matches references and quotations.
- Phrasing and language. Is wording clear and understandable for mediocre reader? Does the author use terms and abbreviation correctly? Do they need any explanations? Does the writer use appropriate tone and style? All these issues are to be checked if your paper is in hands of professional.
- Every single sentence in the text must be coherent. A part of the text should not contradict another one, as well as graphs, illustrations and tables. Cross-references must be put properly.
- Graphs and illustrations. All images should provide examples and not be out of context. It is better to create graphs and tables on your own in order to avoid repetitions and plagiarism issues.
- Content and structure. Is any part of the text excessive or missing? Is it logical and has a completed thought? Are there enough subheadings and footnotes? Maybe some materials should be in appendix? Should there be explanation for terms or a glossary?
The above-mentioned is just a brief list of tasks that handles a copyeditor. But there are some services that will not be provided:
-research and additional writing;
To edit your paper thoroughly, your English must be above average level. If you feel that copyediting is not your cup of tea, if you have difficulties with learning English grammar rules and if you get easily bored while copyediting, then you probably need professional assistance.
If you do not know where to go, our Online Support representatives will happily give you some hints on How to find Reliable And Professional Essay Editing Service.